"A New Life" is the better of two possible endings to the stories of Ethan Mars and Madison Paige in Heavy Rain, which they can get if they survive and are in a relationship at the end of the game. It is the best ending for both Ethan and Madison.
Ethan, Madison and Shaun tour a condominium, which Ethan says "a friend of a friend" made available for them. Shaun quickly decides on the most suitable place for his room. Ethan mentions that if the house is good, it's theirs, to which Madison replies that it's perfect. Madison tells Ethan that they have earned their peace after everything they've done and after some time, everything will end up as a dream; it is implied that they have gotten married. Shaun then teases them both by running in between them, leading Ethan to playfully chase him around the house. Madison is left watching the pair play, laughing.
Ethan: ...Let's just say a friend of a friend let me jump in line - if we like it, it's ours...
Shaun: Hey Dad, I think I've found my room!
Ethan: Well, what do you think?
Madison: It's perfect, Ethan... We'll be able to forget what happened. We'll lead a normal life and one day, it'll all just seem like a bad dream. We've earned the right to be happy now, Ethan... All three of us.
- Ethan survives and is not imprisoned.
- Madison survives and is kissed and forgiven in "On the Loose."
- Shaun survives.
- This is widely considered to be the best ending in the entire game because it showcases the main characters being able to live under the best possible circumstances. It is also possible to get Norman's "Resignation" ending (which is considered the best of his endings by some) or "Case Closed" ending (which is considered the best of his endings by others) in the same playthrough.
- The room of the condominium shown in this ending bears some resemblance to Lucas Kane's apartment from Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, an earlier Quantic Dream game. It is also implied that the "friend of a friend" Ethan mentions is Lucas himself.
- Ethan is clean-shaven in this ending.
- The color of Ethan's shirt appears to vary based on the version of the game being played. On the PS3 version, his shirt is brown; on the PS4 version, however, his shirt is gray.
- It's possible to get this ending irrespective of what happens to Norman and Scott.