In this chapter, Norman Jayden reviews the case and struggles with his addiction.
Jayden, convinced that Ethan Mars is not the Origami Killer, plays the piano and discusses the investigation with his barman in an ARI environment. Upon reviewing the case notes, he finds records of a 1983 Chevrolet Malibu that Jackson Neville is suspected of stealing and selling to the killer, and decides to follow that lead.
What happens next depends on whether or not Ethan got arrested in "Fugitive." If he did, Jayden decides to help Ethan escape from the police station; if he didn't, Jayden goes through Triptocaine withdrawal in a hotel room and must either fight off or give in to the urge to take the drug.
- Main article: /Walkthrough
- Ludwig Von – Play the piano without a wrong note.
- Detox – Resist Triptocaine.
- You cannot get the Detox trophy if Ethan gets arrested.
- This is the first Norman chapter where Blake does not appear.
- When the barman tells Jayden not to over-indulge in "you know what," instead of Triptocaine, it is later revealed in the chapter "Solving the Puzzle" he is talking about ARI, as Norman can die by using it for too long. (However, it is never made clear if it is using ARI, lingering damage from Triptocaine, or both that results in Jayden's death if the player fails "Solving the Puzzle.")
- According to David Cage, the hardest thing to create for Heavy Rain was making Norman's piano-playing look real.
- It is unknown whether Norman's piano-playing is a result of his own skills in tandem with ARI or ARI providing the skill/music.
- Norman can get out of his room while resisting Triptocaine, but it has no effect, since the elevator will never come if it's called, and any room Norman enters will be the same room. After you enter the room, you cannot go out again.
- Whether you resist the Triptocaine or take it does not affect the outcome of the game.
Chapters played as Ethan (in chronological order) - Prologue | The Mall | Father and Son | The Shrink | The Park | Where's Shaun? | Paparazzi | Lexington Station | The Motel | The Bear | The Butterfly | The Lizard | Fugitive | The Shark | On the Loose | The Rat | The Old Warehouse
Chapters played as Scott (in chronological order) - Sleazy Place | Hassan's Shop | Suicide Baby | A Visitor | Kramer's Party | The Golf Club | Manfred | Eureka | The Cemetery | Flowers on the Grave | Trapped | Face to Face | Hold My Hand | Origami Killer
Chapters played as Norman (in chronological order) - Crime Scene | Welcome, Norman | Kick Off Meeting | Nathaniel | Covered Market | Shrink and Punches | Jayden Blues | Under Arrest | Mad Jack | Fish Tank | Solving the Puzzle | The Old Warehouse