In this chapter, Norman Jayden reviews the case and struggles with his addiction.
Jayden, convinced that Ethan Mars is not the Origami Killer, plays the piano and discusses the investigation with his barman in an ARI environment. Upon reviewing the case notes, he finds records of a 1983 Chevrolet Malibu that Jackson Neville is suspected of stealing and selling to the killer, and decides to follow that lead.
What happens next depends on whether or not Ethan got arrested in "Fugitive." If he did, Jayden decides to help Ethan escape from the police station; if he didn't, Jayden goes through Triptocaine withdrawal in a hotel room and must either fight off or give in to the urge to take the drug.
- Main article: /Walkthrough
- Main article: /Transcript
- Ludwig Von – Play the piano without a wrong note.
- Detox – Resist Triptocaine.
- You cannot get the Detox trophy if Ethan gets arrested.
- This is the first Norman chapter where Blake does not appear.
- Interestingly, despite this being a Norman chapter, when continuing from this chapter from the main menu it shows Ethan's loading screen.
- When the barman tells Jayden not to over-indulge in "you know what," instead of Triptocaine, it is later revealed in the chapter "Solving the Puzzle" he is talking about ARI, as Norman can die by using it for too long. (However, it is never made clear if it is using ARI, lingering damage from Triptocaine, or both that results in Jayden's death if the player fails "Solving the Puzzle.")
- According to David Cage, the hardest thing to create for Heavy Rain was making Norman's piano-playing look real.
- It is unknown whether Norman's piano-playing is a result of his own skills in tandem with ARI or ARI providing the skill/music.
- The music Norman plays on the piano appears to be a mixture of the melodies of his theme and Ethan's theme.
- Norman can get out of his room while resisting Triptocaine, but it has no effect, since the elevator will never come if it's called, and any room Norman enters will be the same room. After you enter the room, you cannot go out again.
- Whether you resist the Triptocaine or take it does not affect the outcome of the game.
All chapters are listed in chronological order.
Chapters Played as Ethan
Chapters Played as Scott
Chapters Played as Jayden