|“|| ARE YOU PREPARED TO MAKE A SACRIFICE TO SAVE YOUR SON?
- The Lizard origami figure
The chapter begins with an aerial view of Ethan's car driving to an empty apartment. He walks into the building, the entire interior of which seems to be burnt. Ethan notices several new porcelain lizards on the floor, out of place in the burned apartment. Ethan tries shaking the porcelain figures; in one of them he hears a rattling noise and breaks it. A key flies out of the figure. Ethan uses the key to unlock a door at the end of the hallway, which has a lizard painted on it. He walks inside and finds a table with another computer-like device that will guide him through the challenge. Ethan presses the play button on the device, which tells him that "[he has] five minutes to cut off the last section of one of [his] fingers in front of the camera." Doing so will reward him with another chip for his cell phone.
- Main article: /Walkthrough
This trial is named "The Lizard" probably because of certain lizards' ability to lose limbs/body parts and survive or even re-grow the lost limb.
- Gold Finger – Cut off your finger using axe, knife or pliers & disinfect or cauterize the wound.
- Butcher – Cut your finger using a saw or scissor.
- Trial Master – Completing this trial successfully contributes toward earning this trophy.
- David Cage said that this event was also taken from his real life, because he once cut his finger. He did not state whether he cut it off or not, but it can be seen on his pictures.
- Cauterizing and disinfecting the wound, drinking the whiskey, and biting down on the wood do not result in less injury to Ethan (though the cauterization and disinfectant earn a trophy). They are simply there to lessen Ethan's pain and assuage the player's guilt.
- That said, the fastest way to complete the chapter whilst doing the trial (if you're not interested in or already got those trophies, and perhaps if you want to hear the authentic unmitigated screams) is to go pick up the saw embedded in the wall and cut the finger. Go under the table right away, and the chapter will end after that cutscene.
- If the player decides not to cut off the section of the finger, and then tries to escape with Madison in the next chapter, an officer will, oddly enough, shoot off that same section of the same finger. It seems, therefore, Ethan cannot possibly keep that finger intact throughout the entire story without being arrested.
- If Ethan doesn't cut his finger and then fails to successfully escape (which can be done by moving the box in front of the window then standing around waiting for the cops to enter), he will not lose his finger.
- If Ethan takes three or four drinks of whiskey, the screen will become blurry and he will use different, quieter screams after his finger is cut off. (This may also depend on the tool used.)
- It is possible to use either the disinfectant or the iron rod on Ethan's wound after his finger is cut off. It is, however, impossible to do both.
- Pascal Langdale, Ethan's voice actor, has been widely praised for his acting in this chapter for mimicking pain very realistically.
- In real life, Ethan's finger would likely spurt blood out continuously without the iron rod to cauterize it.
- If Ethan escapes the apartments with Madison quickly enough, he will avoid getting shot by the police. If they are too slow, he will get shot. If shot, the location of the shot is determined by whether he cut off his finger or not. If he has cut it off, the cop will shoot him in the shoulder. If not, the cop will shoot the finger. Whether Ethan is shot or not does not impact his ability to successfully complete the chapter and get away.
- A glitch can occur in this chapter in which Ethan’s head will start to spin while he is sitting at the table with his chosen tool; it will spin around continuously, going into his neck and turning upside down at some points.
Chapters played as Ethan (in chronological order) - Prologue | The Mall | Father and Son | The Shrink | The Park | Where's Shaun? | Paparazzi | Lexington Station | The Motel | The Bear | The Butterfly | The Lizard | Fugitive | The Shark | On the Loose | The Rat | The Old Warehouse
Chapters played as Scott (in chronological order) - Sleazy Place | Hassan's Shop | Suicide Baby | A Visitor | Kramer's Party | The Golf Club | Manfred | Eureka | The Cemetery | Flowers on the Grave | Trapped | Face to Face | Hold My Hand | Origami Killer
Chapters played as Norman (in chronological order) - Crime Scene | Welcome, Norman | Kick Off Meeting | Nathaniel | Covered Market | Shrink and Punches | Jayden Blues | Under Arrest | Mad Jack | Fish Tank | Solving the Puzzle | The Old Warehouse